Catching the red-eye on Tuesday night, I departed on my short “work” trip to New York. There is so much to see and so much to do, I had eagerly planned my days to the hours but followed none of that once I got there… So, here’s a review of what I actually did!
- 8AM – Arrived at LaGuardia, Taxi to Billie Jean King National Tennis Center (U.S. Open grounds)
- 9AM-5PM: Spent the day at the U.S. Open, for the first time as an insider
- Got to see the empty grounds and players’ facilities
- 6PM-8PM: Explored a little of Midtown East
- Shopping on 5th Avenue (for my friend, I can’t afford stuff like that)
- 10PM: Went to dinner at Lavo
- Not my first choice, but hey, when gourmet Italian comes your way, you eat it and you like it.
- Complimentary garlic bread is to DIE FOR. If I could go back in time, I would get nothing to eat and would fill myself up on this stuff. It was worth every calorie.
- We got the margherita pizza to share, I got the Wagyu stuffed rice balls and he got the chicken parmesan (which was twice the size of his face).
- 11PM: Drinks at The Standard in the Meatpacking District with gorgeous city views
- 11AM: Moved to an AirBnB near Morningside Heights
- 2PM: Visited/explored Columbia University
- 4PM: Ate at Shake Shack
- Side-by-side comparison with In n’ Out coming soon!!
- 5PM: Wandered around Central Park
- 6PM: Got a famous chocolate chip walnut cookie from Levain Bakery
- 10AM: Headed into downtown
- Noon: Met up with an old friend for lunch at Le Pain Quotidien
- Got the prosciutto, fig and pear tartine. Very fresh and delicious!
- 1:30PM-4PM: Walked up to Central Park and enjoyed a beautiful afternoon
- 5PM: Headed to Brooklyn to meet up with new friends
- 6PM: Bagels from Bagelsmith (everything bagel with jalepeño & cheddar cream cheese) & a chai latte from a coffee shop
- It’s no lie, the bagels in NY really are so different from everywhere else and are BY FAR, the best. Also, the cream cheese is nice and thick and flavorful. Can’t get this anywhere else!
- 9:30AM: Mimosas and eggs benedict in the Centurion Lounge (thanks to said new friends for getting me in with them)
- 11AM: Flight from LGA
- 5PM: Arrival in Orange County
Didn’t get in as much as I would’ve liked to have done while I was there, but still very happy with my trip. I have no doubts that I’ll be back soon to hit up the rest of New York’s finest.
With much love, Monnie